wild_irises: (Default)
[personal profile] wild_irises
For those who are interested, here's what I wrote for Body Impolitic about hearing Michael Twitty talk.

For those who might be further interested, Body Impolitic is the long-running blog I do with [personal profile] laurieopal . For many years, we focused primarily on body image (defined very broadly), plus posts on art and photography. Since Hurricane Trump's nomination for president, we've covered a more generally political range of topics, while continuing to write about body image, art, and photography. Thanks to the wonderful [personal profile] bibliofile , DW has a Body Impolitic feed, or of course you can find us wherever you get your blogs.

Date: 2017-09-05 12:38 pm (UTC)
garyomaha: Sophie&Charlie_04-27-25 (Default)
From: [personal profile] garyomaha
"Hurricane Trump" -- I like that. I don't believe I've heard it before.

Date: 2017-09-05 01:55 pm (UTC)
calimac: (Default)
From: [personal profile] calimac
It interested me, enough so that I put his book on my list of books to look for. And your piece has answered my possibly impertinent question, "How came he to be Jewish?" even as a piece on his blog outlining a course he gives for African-Americans on how to trace their family history answered my question of, "How did he come to know his African ancestors?" since I thought that information was lost. Not entirely, it turns out, and genetic testing really helps.

Incidentally - this is about white people, but it's the most amazing genetic testing story I've read.

Date: 2017-09-05 03:50 pm (UTC)
anne: (Default)
From: [personal profile] anne
I'm halfway through the book. I'm finding it hard to read, but impossible to put down.

Date: 2017-09-06 02:17 am (UTC)
jesse_the_k: harbor seal's head captioned "seal of approval" (Approval)
From: [personal profile] jesse_the_k
And as long as we're talking food & feeds:

http://afroculinaria-feed.dreamwidth.org

Michael Twitty's blog

Date: 2017-09-06 04:48 pm (UTC)
ashareem: feeling my Roma-Jewish ancestry (very distant!) (Default)
From: [personal profile] ashareem
Oh, thank you!

Date: 2017-09-06 04:49 pm (UTC)
ashareem: feeling my Roma-Jewish ancestry (very distant!) (Default)
From: [personal profile] ashareem
Added the blog feed, thanks.

Profile

wild_irises: (Default)
wild_irises

March 2020

S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
1516171819 2021
22232425262728
293031    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 30th, 2026 02:23 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios